Cream of Soup
I got a bundle of asparagus from Fresh Option, and needed something to do with it. So, as usual, I looked up vegan recipes on the Internet. After a bit of searching, I found this Cream of Asparagus Soup recipe. It was excellent! The best part was, I finally learned how to spell "Asparagus"!
Talking to my friend, we decided that it could make a pretty generic cream soup. So, here you have it...
- 1lb of vegetables (1 bunch asparagus, 1 lb mushrooms, 1 lb broccoli, etc)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1-5 clove garlic (I used 3)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour (I suspect that corn starch would also work, if you're into gluten free)
- 2 1/2 cups soymilk (I used Enriched Silk)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper
- Chop the vegetables. Reserve some (the asparagus tips, pieces of mushrooms, etc) for later -- if you want a chunkier soup, keep more; if you want thinner, keep less.
- Put the asparagus, onion, garlic, and broth into a soup pot
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat the medium, cook till vegetables are tender (15 mins)
- Process the contents of the pot (stick/hand blender is my favourite way, but a food processor or blender work well)
- Add flour, soy milk, soy sauce and basil, and continue processing
- Return soup to the pan, and add the reserved vegetables
- Cook over medium heat until the soup thickens and is heated through (takes a couple minutes, but you can cook it longer if you like it thicker)
- Add salt and pepper, serve