Vegan Hot Wingz
Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Vegan Dad:
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp poultry spice (I used steak seasoning, it's all I had)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup fine corn flake crumbs (I used corn grits)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 cup soy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Sauce (heat these ingredients in a saucepan)
- 1/2 cup margarine (I'd use less next time)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I'd use a lot more next time)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sided cookie sheet with foil and lightly oil.
- Place mushrooms, onion, and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add oil, spice, salt and water and process into a smooth paste. Add gluten and process into a smooth dough.
- Remove dough from food processor and roll into a cylinder about 14" long. Slice into 1" pieces and roll them into a smaller cylinders. Slice that in half if they are too long, then flatten slightly.
- Mix together ground corn flakes, flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Combine soy milk and vinegar in a separate bowl.
- Toss seitan in 2 tsp of oil. Toss seitan in corn flake mixture.
- Dip seitan soy milk mixture, then toss in cornflake mixture again. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 mins, turn over, then bake for another 10 mins.
- Coat wingz with all but 1/4 cup of the sauce. Bake for 5 mins, then use a spoon to scoop up excess sauce and recoat the wingz. Bake for another 3-5 mins, until bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool 5 mins. Toss in remaining sauce and serve.